Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing email across network??

Status
Not open for further replies.

edsales

Programmer
Aug 8, 2003
AU
I have two computers connected across a network and one is connected to the internet via an adsl modem. I want to be able to send and receive email on the second computer using the first computers standard mail account. The internet connection is shared using Wingate. Is there an easy solution to this or if software is required what do you reccommend?

Thanks for your help

Simon

E-mail accounts aren't tied to a particular computer; just go into the second computer, start an e-mail program (Outlook, OE, whatever) and set up the account normally -- copy settings used in PC #1.

Keep in mind that if you download new mail while on PC #2, it won't re-download next time you're on PC #1, unless you tell PC #2 not to delete mail from the server.

JPM121 I have already tried using the same settings as the first computer. When you go to send receive in Outlook express it comes back saying it cant find the mail server. I also thought that it should have worked but no success. Do you have any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

hi
jpm121 is right.

have u checked thru the internet connection that the mail client is using on the problem machine?
or the spelling of the incoming and outgoing server names?
sometimes its jus a little mistake causing lotsa problems
if your internet is working
its probably jus a matter of setting the ac.

xhaya

I have checked the settings and they are correct. I have actually tried the same setup on a totally different network and the same thing happens. Are you sure its possible to check the email using the method I have explained or do you need a local pop3 proxy server to read the mail from??

Here is the error message I get with my email settings.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.netunltd.com.au', Server: 'mail.netunltd.com.au', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10065, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Does anyone know what might be causing this problem??

Error Number: 0x800CCC0E?

do u run norton antivirus on your computers?
the microsoft knowledge base says that it could be caused by norton pop3 scanning. try disabling that then receive mail.

alternatively see if your IE/out look express needs repairing.
control panel > add/remove programs > select IE6 > add/remove button

it should bring up a screen with repair options.

hope helps
xhaya [noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back