Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing CPU and memory power by clustering

Status
Not open for further replies.

CompuRyan

Technical User
May 8, 2005
US
I am a noobie at servers, but I love computers, and have about 12 in my basement. I want to hook them together so they will function as 1 extremely powerful computer. They would need to share CPU and ram power. Therefore technically in the end I would hope to have a 12ghz computer with 4 gigs of ram, it would be like a 12 in 1 (processing powerwise). Can I do this with Windows Server 03? How? or should I look into using a different kind of application.

There is software to do this on windows (I don't know the name of it, but I've heard of it). It is much more popular to do this in linux. Most people that need a large computer of that sort that run windows, will simple purchase a quad chip 3Ghz per chip server.

Once you are running a cluster like this in linux, you could install vmware and run windows under that, which should then give you access to all the CPUs and RAM.

I'd check the linux forums to get the cluster setup.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back