Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing an Excel File from a Server Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

aprunkard

Technical User
Oct 29, 2004
US
I don't if this is possible or not or if we are doing something wrong.
I have shared an Excel on a Network server before but is it possible or how can you share a file that is just saved on a server. When I set the file to Shared when one person has it open it says FileName.xls [Shared], but when another person opens it at the same time it says it's Read Only and when you go ahead and open it will say FileName.xls [Shared] [Read Only].
Any suggestions or is my idea shot down completely.

If one person is in a file, the another person can only open it in read-only, until the 1st person closes it.

But I have the file in SHARED mode.
That shouldn't be the case.

But shared means only that different users can have access to it, it doesn't mean that it can be edited by more than one user at a time!

Pasted directly from the Excel Help:

If you need input from several people, you can create a shared workbook (shared workbook: A workbook set up to allow multiple users on a network to view and make changes at the same time. Each user who saves the workbook sees the changes made by other users.) and place it on a network location where they can edit it simultaneously. For example, if the people in your workgroup each handle several projects and need to know each other's status, the group could use a shared workbook. All persons involved can then enter the information for their projects in one and the same workbook.

Note the word "simultaneously" being used.
I know what a shared document is capable of doing on a network. I have done it before. There can be multiple users in the file at the same time editing it. When the file is saved, the other users' changes are reflected.

I have solved the issue on my end.
Excel states that this will not work on a Web server which is what we were trying to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back