Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing a Wireless Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanGlinka

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2002
US
Is there any way to share a wireless internet connection to a wired device on a laptop?

I'm trying to connect an IP phone to my computer's LAN port, and have it route through to the wireless network, but I can't get this to happen for the life of me.

Anyone know if this is possible?

IanGlinka

My first thought was no, but this article suggests it could be possible with a crossover cable or the correct adapter. Worth a shot.

Might also be worth a shot posting in the Win XP forum779

Best of luck!

Tony

Users helping Users...

You can assign a static IP on your wireless interface and create a different subnet to your wired interface and then create a persistent route in your CLI btween the interfaces.

NCSS NCTS NCTE

That would require a crossover cable between the laptop and the wired device, correct?

Essentially, I'm trying to do the following:

voip.JPG

I have this posted in the Windows XP thread upon suggestion here, so I apologize for the multiple threads, but I think there are two different approaches here. One involves Windows XP and using ICS, and the other involves some more nitty-gritty networking, like you're talking about with the persistent route (something I tried, but couldn't get working ... i think it's because I didn't have a crossover cable)

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back