Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing a SCSI tape drive (DAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

juliaatpcgp

Technical User
Aug 21, 2006
GB
Is it possible to install a tape drive in a PC running Windows 98 and have it shared so another PC - an XP Pro laptop - so it can backup its files to it overnight.

If it's not possible on a Windows 98 PC, is it possible if the host is running XP Pro instead?

If yes, can I link another XP Pro PC to it as well ?

The reason I am considering these 2 options is that I have a PC with a good DDS-4 tape drive inside but the unit itself is awaiting donation to charity (as soon as we can get the drives wiped) because it's no use to the business anymore. I want to move the drive to another desktop PC in the business.

I have a laptop that needs a backup solution and I want to use the drive.

.... and my own backup drive has just failed, so I'd like to share it too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,
Jay

I think you can acomplish what you are trying by using a combination of software agents. I know backup exec supports remote workstation backup using agents (and i'm pretty sure that most other backup solutions do as well). As far as directly sharing the drive in Windows, I don't think it's possible; but someone smarter than me may very well prove me wrong!

CCNA, CCDP, Net+, A+
Work Smarter, Not Harder....
This was supposed to be the future.....Where is my JetPack?!

If the Tape Drive appears as a Drive Letter in explorer, then you can share it. If it requires a special piece of software to access it, but doesn't actually show up in explorer under My PC as another available drive then probably not.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Maybe a backup across the network to the 98 and a later backup to the tape drive? This would be something pcbackup would handle. Not sure about others.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back