Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing a "master" Features and Options configuration in Macola with more than one item

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenmann

Technical User
Oct 1, 2014
US
Hello,

We build our basic product for a number of customers.
Each customer has his own set of drawings & specifications.... but they all tend to boil down to about the same thing.

We assign a part number for each customer, with their particular drawings mentioned in the description fields.

The unique customer part number, with their drawings sited in the description fields show up on Order Acknowledgment, Packing Lists etc.

It does not seem like a good idea to copy the same Features and Options over and over again to each customer part number.

Is it possible to link a master Features and Options to multiple parts numbers in Macola?

I am new to Macola... hope somebody can point me in the right direction.

Ken

Progression or ES? Pervasive or MS SQL?

It should be possible to create a SQL script to insert the features/options into the table with a new parent part number, copying (using a SELECT statement) from an existing feature/option part. This would not be for the faint of heart but doable. Do you have SQL skills or a SQL guru at your disposal?

Software Training, Implementation, Programming and Support for Macola Progression, Macola ES, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

Thank you for your reply dgillz.

We do have some developer support but I was really hoping there was an technique for dealing with this situation with out of the box Progression.

We are leaning towards simply copying a "master" Features & Options to the various parts numbers.

Without knowing all of the details, I would question the need to have customer specific items. If they boil down to the same item (and structure) internally, there are other ways to hold customer specific information per-item so that the information appears on packing slips, acknowledgements etc.

Peter Shirley
Macola Consultant, PA and surrounding states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back