Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing a network printer across VLANs

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbhoj74

Technical User
Apr 18, 2010
IN
I've a 450e as my core switch and running inter VLAN routing, and am using X150 as edge. This installation is for a multi-tenant facility where I need to share a single network printer (toshiba) residing on a VLAN called "shared". All other office VLANs (from 1 to 10) should be able to fire print jobs on this printer. I also have a policy file on the 450e core which allows two way communication between "shared" and all other Vlans, but restricts traffic between office VLANs.

So for example, my printer resides on on 192.168.50.1 (shared VLan 50. I'm able to ping the printer and also perform web management from all other Vlans (192.168.vlan.x) but print. The printer is non-recoverable, and i'm not able to print even if i add the printer manually to a PC and providing the printer's IP.

Where am I going wrong? any help is highly appreciated. (resolving this is kind of urgent)

thanks,
Vineet

Resolved.

Turns out to be a driver related issue, tried with a latest driver off the net, created the port with the printer's IP and it worked. The printer is non discoverable as there is no DNS or WINS server on the LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back