Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharing a calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rookcr

MIS
Aug 12, 2002
US
Here is the deal.

The president of our company wants to share his calendar with his secretary. He wants other people to see his availability for meeting requests. He would like his secretary to be able to make changes and he wants to be able to hot syn his palm. Where do I start?

If you have GroupWise or Outlook at your company you just need to buy something like Intellisync (~$50) to be able to sync it with a Palm. If you have GroupWise go to Tools, Rules, Proxy Access to set permissions for the secretary to be able to manage the calendar, and set the minimun user access to be able to read it. (I don't work with Outlook, so I can't provide specifics there.)

Larry

Go to president's computer and open Outlook.

Right click on his calendar and select properties. Select the permission tab and find the secretary's name. Give the person the necessary permissions that are requested.

On the secretary's computer, open Outlook. File>Open>Other user>President's name. On the pull down select calendar. Hit Ok and you should have access to the calendar. A shortcut will appear on the "open" menu.

The sync needs software which should have come with the Palm Pilot. Install and follow the directions as they present themselves.

Matt

Ok I will end up giving these a try tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions, I will let you know the results

Just a helpful note here. I ran into trouble trying to create a shortcut to the CEO's calendar on the secretary's computer. Make sure that you share the mailbox first on the president's computer. You do this by right clicking on the mailbox not the inbox the mailbox (topmost in outlook)and give only the view or list folders permissions to the secretary. Then right click on the president's calendar and give editor permissions to the secretary. Then go to the secretary's computer and add the president's mailbox to your account. If you are unsure about this I can give you more details once I write them down. Once you have added his account to the secretary's profile you just look at the folders in your inbox. Click on the presidents mailbox. Underneath should be the calendar. Left click it and drag it to the outlook bar and presto you should have a shortcut to it in the bar. My problem was that someone had shared the calendar but not the mailbox. I could open the folder using file open other user's folder etc........... but I couldn't create a shortcut. Surely she will not want to click on file open other user's folder etc..... all the time. I need to know what you currently have o/s and office application or whatever.

JAC,
I think the Exchange server is necessary for permissions. I had this same problem and ended up using Wesync from Palm to share the calendar. (Free and decent software, but requires a PalmOS PDA to use in concert with Outlook and is no longer being updated.) In the alternative, I imagine you can use NetFolders to share calendars in Outlook 2000. I haven't played around with it, since it was sadly discontinued in XP.

Sam

I looked at this too after first reading this messagae. You can actually go to File then Share and set it there.

Wel we have placed our calendars on the exchange server.

But sharing theme this way, has giving us a few problems,
Outlook can't give reminders on this calendar and we can't use the request for meeting the right way the meeting just comes in the wrong calendar, that is the one in the personal folder.

What i wanna know, is there a way of saying to outlook, this is the calendar i want to use as my standard.

I know you can say with contacts witch you want to use by checking the option.

Could it be that xp hasn't got this problem ?

Can someone give us a helping hand ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back