Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shares dissapearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

christhedonstar

Programmer
Apr 9, 2007
GB
Anyone had this issue where they use \\othercomputer and the shares on that computer shows. And then it stops working all of a sudden if though you can ping othercomputer?

How are you setting up these shares? Are you mapping a drive or are you using the net use command.

IF your mapping a drive, are you checking the Recconect at logon box?

If your using the net use command,are you using the /PERSISTENT: YES switch?

Are you sure the shares have disappeared, or are they simply disconnected?

Anyone had this issue where they use \\othercomputer and the shares on that computer shows.
And then it stops working all of a sudden if though you can ping othercomputer?
Yes, several times... usually turns out that it was a NetBIOS issue, or a DNS issue where the OS forgot what IP belongs to what NetBIOS name...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

What happens if you recreate the Shares again and check the Access Permission for the Shares.

Also check the actual NTFS via the Security Tab for the folder concerned that is being shared.

Have you tested from "Safe Mode with Networking" in case one of your security programs has become "over active"?

The shares were set-up using windows xp. I have one nas and one xp computer and the vista box can sometimes see the NAS and xp box but sometimes it can't see the shares. I can see the NAS from the XP box. If I reboot the vista box this usually fixes it. I can ping the xp box and nas from my vista box.

NAS wired
Xp Box - Wireless
Vista Laptop - Wireless / wired sometimes.

So either the cables are hanging loose in the air or you use crossover cables to different NICs in the PC...

as Vista does not like older network devices, and at times either just conks out or will not connect period... this has to do with the improvements in the network protocols...
A device on the network, such as a hub or switch, is not working properly or is not compatible with the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) protocol, which Windows uses to create the map. To fix this problem, disable the device, turn it off, or remove it from your network.
Source: MS

also when the shares disappear, do you ping them by NAME or by IP?

do you use DHCP or did you give them all static IPs?

Ben

I think its software or possibly router issue. Because I can see the NAS from the XP box. And the Ps3 can see the nas and the other computers dlna servers.

Status Local Remote Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reconnecting \\xpPC\IPC$ Microsoft Windows Network
Disconnected \\nas\IPC$ Microsoft Windows Network
The command completed successfully.

When I use net use in Vista.

So not it says connected (when using net use) but I can't navigate to the shares in explorer... However I can navigate to the shares when I use the IP address.

IPC$ is not a data share. The Inter-Process Communication (IPC) share or ipc$ is a network share on computers running Microsoft Windows. This share is used to facilitate communication between processes and computers, often to exchange authentication data between computers. Inter-Process Communication, it's found on other systems than Windows as well. It's what's used to start a connection session, pass password / user data prior to connecting to a share (folder/print etc.). It does exist on the NAS and is used as described above".

Is there an Authentication problem between Vista and the NAS? Do you have any logging of this Authentication that might show some sort of a failure message?

Same question I guess, what is showing in the various Event Viewer, Security Logs, for all machines concerned?

In Windows, there are three settings for NetBIOS over TCP/IP -- turn it on, turn it off or get the settings from your router. By default, Windows XP and Windows Vista are set up to use the NetBIOS setting from your router.

In Windows Vista:

1. Select Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Network and Sharing Center --> Manage Network Connections. A screen appears, showing your network connection.

2. Right-click your network connection and choose Properties. The Local Area Connection Properties screen, like the one pictured below, appears.

3. Highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP) and choose Properties, then click the Advanced button.

4. Click the WINS tab. The screen, shown below, appears. At the bottom, you'll see the NetBIOS setting. Make sure that Default is selected. Click OK, and keep clicking OK until all the screens disappear. You may need to reboot for the new setting to take effect.

If that doesn't fix the problem, the issue may be with your router. If your home router doesn't support NetBIOS over TCP/IP, or supports it improperly, you can run into problems. Unfortunately, there's no list of routers that support it, so there's no simple way to confirm whether your router does.

Your best bet is to update the router's firmware. Check your manufacturer for information on how to do that.
source:
IPv6 plays havoc at times as well...

Vista - If you really want to disable IPv6, you can.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back