Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint Visual Studio Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

netcashin

Programmer
Nov 13, 2000
US
I am new to the Sharepoint environment (2 days). I am being asked to develop web parts in Visual Studio to be implemented on a Sharepoint site.

From my understanding, if you install VS 2005 Extensions, you get Sharepoint added as one of your categories which helps in development. But you can't install VS 2005 extensions unless you have Sharepoint services 3.0 installed.

Then in order to have Sharepoint services 3.0 installed you must have installed Windows server 2003 SP1.

So does anyone know a way around to where you can install the extensions without having to be on a server machine?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You do need the extensions to assist with your building the web parts. From my experience (and if possible), you need to build a test environment that has WSS, WS Server 2003, IIS, and VS (on a different computer). This environment will come in handy when you need to test out other items (trust me - you're going to want to play, analyze, upload, and experiment) processes for WSS.

After you create the webparts and workflows, you then can deploy them onto your server. But, I don't recommend installing VS onto your server. Hope this helps...Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back