Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint trying to connect to SMTP server using local IUSR account

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofSketch

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
GB
I have an issue with my Sharepoint web front ends trying to connect to the farm’s outgoing email server using their local IUSR accounts

I have 2 x Sharepoint 2007 web front ends with a separate server running IIS6 SMTP services as the farm’s outgoing email server

When ever an email is sent from either of the web front ends to the SMTP Virtual server it tries to connect to the SMTP server using the IUSR account of the originating WFE server. This causes the following error to be reported back on the SMTP server.

Server: SMTP Server
Category: 2
Event: 529
Severity: Failure Audit event
Source: Security
Time: 11:08:40 08/19/2010
Description:
Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: IUSR_WFE1
Domain: WFE1
Logon Type: 3
Logon Process: NtLmSsp
Authentication Package: NTLM
Workstation Name: WFE1

End Of Report

Server: SMTP Server
Category: 9
Event: 681
Severity: Failure Audit event
Source: Security
Time: 11:08:40 08/19/2010
Description:
The logon to account: IUSR_WFE1
by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
from workstation: WFE1
failed. The error code was: 3221225572

The email gets through without an issue as we have anonymous access set up on the smtp server but I am concerned as to why the WFE servers are trying to connect to an external server using a local account and how can I stop it from trying to do so.

Any thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back