Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint Portal Server Logs

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamratman

MIS
Sep 5, 2011
US

I am needing to recover some disk space and have 10 gigs of space used here:
C:\Program Files\SharePoint Portal Server\Logs

Can some one tell me what these logs are?
SPS_00000148_SPSWRAPPER.LOG

Can these logs be moved?

Can this log be moved or deleted?
SPS_00000148_SPSWRAPPER.OLD

thanks joblack23

I have done a fullbackup on the DB's using management studio as well as the transaction logs which hasnt changed anything.

My backupexec is on same server as sharpoint DB and I have 0 c: drive space so I cant get the backup services to even start.

thank you ehaze for your responce,

I have found that all of my db's and logs are on a different drive except these logs:C:\Program Files\SharePoint Portal Server\Logs

Are these transact logs or something else?

By default SharePoint will write to your C drive.

SharePoint 2010:
{Central Administration > Diagnostic Logging)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS

SharePoint 2007:
{Central Administration > Operations > Diagnostic Logging)
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS

When setting up a new server, I like to point the SharePoint logs at another drive. More than once I've had to deal with SharePoint filling up a C drive with files.

we have wss 3.0

the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\LOGS are not very big.

Im at a loss how to get some room again on c
I have no idea what these logs are that are eating up 10 gig

Not sure how your server is setup. If you have SharePoint on the same drive as C or any other drive with a bit more space and you partitioned it, you can use a EASEUS partition master to shuffle space from a different drive.

I've been in the exact same thing as you except my backup failed to work for a long time and didn't realize it until it was too late. I used EASEUS to get more space and then I did a full backup. Problem solved.

If you have it setup on a physical drive by itself you are out of luck unless you can move/delete transaction log.

Also if you don't know what is eating up your drive space get Disk Space Manager. free for 14 days i think

joblack23,

I used the Disk Space Manager and the two bigest eaters of space are the backup exec catolog files and the same back up directory for share point I have been asking about but still dont know what they are or how to remove.

I moved a couple of the backupexec catologs to make room and can now run backupexec. I ran ful backups of the DB's and logs with backupexec but still no change. what do I need to do here?

thanks

Wait.. that makes sense. We weren't talking about backupexec. This doesn't do anything to sharepoint and TLs. You have to run sharepoint backup from the central admin. This will fix your problem for sure if the backup finishes.

I have run the backups for sharepoint from the central admin browser I did a full backup of the farm and they all finished without error but nothing changed.

ehaze,

I dont know if I can delete them or not thats what I need to find out.

I dont understand this: the <b>SharePoint</b>

Yes these logs are eating up my space:

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back