Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

drdexter33

Programmer
Jun 11, 2003
US

Hi there..

I have a SharePoint page my boss has asked me to write. It kind of looks like I might need to develop it starting with creating a small database that has a couple of relational tables, and then binding that data to something like an ASP.Net GridView object that may have a master/detail thing going on...

We started out just keyboarding data into a simple data list, however that may be too simplistic...ew may need to get our hands a little dirty here and go a bit deeper

Can I develop this in VS2005 or do I need to get Something else?

Are there tutorials on something like this?

Thanks!

Doug Dexter

This is a good start; why not learn from the people that wrote it?

I know there are a number of Sierra Hotel books out there on the subject, but am too lazy to Google right now (actually I'm out the door).

Good luck!

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
Pity the insomniac dyslexic agnostic. He stays up all night, wondering if there really is a dog.

http--office.microsoft.com-en-us-winsharepointadmin-HA100211591033.aspx
http--Moving Windows SharePoint Services Databases
Plan for administrative and service accounts (Windows SharePoint Services)
SharePoint - Design and Customization - MSDN Forums
SHAREPOINTCOMMUNITY.COM Discussion Forums - Home
Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Overview

there is a start. There is also an online book. The best thing to do is install SPS 3.0 and leave everything default and try it out first.

What are you actually trying to get done?

I suppose the simplest way to explain it would be that we want to develop a small app in SharePoint to allow CRUDL functionality to a list of company wide applications, servers, OS's etc.

I'd ideally do this in ASP.Net but I think management wants it in a portal type environment like SharePoint for Security, Accessability, etc.

Thanks.

Sorry, those links didnt come out as I thought they would, but there are a few good resources out there right now.

ADD_DATE="1191463438"

Load up sharepoint services on a VM ware and install it there and test it out. That is the best way to go about learning it. A document library sounds like it would get you to where you want to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back