Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharepoint DNS redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFusion

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
AU
Hello everyone, hopefully someone can help me out with this.

I have created a sharepoint team services site eg I want people to just have to type in to get there (and not see the real sharepoint path).

I have created a dns record to point to this server (tried both hosta and cname). In IIS under websites I created a new site called intranet and set the host header value to "intranet" in web site identities.

The part that I think I am getting wrong is in the home directory tab (still in IIS). If I select a directory located on this computer, it wont let me enter \\server\sites\intranet (it says the path does not exist or is not a directory). I realise that this is not a real directory, it is a virtual directory, so I don't know what path I can put in here.

If I choose a redirection to a url, it points to the right place, but in IE the address shows as " not "
I am running Windows Server 2003 standard, SharePoint Services V2 and IIS V6.

I know that you can do this somehow, my company recently got bought out, the old company hosted our site and a number of others on a single server.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Frank

Hi Frank,

I am hosting several sites on my webserver although, each site has it's own virtual server and hostheader name. I do not think that you can actually create a website and then point it to another virtual directory as you tried with the \\server\sites\intranet, as you say it is not a real directory but since you probably do not have that \sites\intranet listed in the website that hosts the SharePoint sites you won't be able to put that in as a path.

As I see it the only way would have been to actually create a new virtual website (intranet) extend it in sharepoint central administration and then create a SharePoint Team site on it with it's own address outside the address, so that it will be a completely site of it's own and not a "subsite" of and other site collection.

I am running 22 websites on a single machine with a single IP-address but they are separate virtual websites, so I do not have the above problem.

I have not found a way when doing a redirection to another URL to actually keep the "original" url entered, for example it will always give you the "real"
So doing exactly what you want might not be possible, but if it is and you get a solution for it I would appreciate if you could post it here.

Regards,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back