Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SharePoint 2007 External Access Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonmorovich

IS-IT--Management
Aug 15, 2002
US
I have installed SharePoint 2007 on a Windows 2003 server with R2. I have included it in the Active Directory (AD Server - Upgraded 2000 Server to 2003 R2) and loaded up the server with the necessary docs I want to access. While I am internal I can hit the SharePoint server and it will drop me (or anyone else with an active login within Active Directory) into the section of SharePoint my permissions allow me to see. Internally it works great.

Here is the problem. I need users from outside our network to access the server and I am having problems. When I go to the SharePoint website from outside the network I get prompted for a username and password. I type an active username and password in, however I get an IE webpage showing that the page cannot be displayed. It's almost like it's not finding that username and password.

I'm very confused and would appreciate any help offered.

Thanks in advance for your help.

It sounds like you need to use Kerbos Authentication and not NTLM which does not cross the web bounderies. Or create a custom 'Forms" authentication and use a SQL database for security logins.

hope this helps

George Oakes
CEO & President
COPS Software, Inc.

Programmer & Developer
.Net, WSS 3.0, SQL DBA
Check out this awsome .Net Resource!

Got it figured out. Turns out the Active Directory Application Mode was not installed as well as the iissuba.dll on the domain controllers. We also re-did the Alternate Access Mappings.

Thanks for your quick response and help though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back