Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sharepoint 2003 - implementing any tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbead

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2002
US
Hi - we are implementing 2003 sharepoint and I want to know if anyone has any tips or cautions they want to throw out. I am having a company (dedicated to sharepoint implmentation) design the sites, but I was wondering is there anything I should know. thanks

JBead

Hi,

Are you going to use the Portal Server 2003 or just the Windows SharePoint Services?

My tip is to look over the backup and restore procedures, since the tools that comes with the product is not the best. You are ofcourse able to do both backup and restore, but not on item level basis and it can sometimes be very time consuming to just be able to get a document library or document back.

Regards,
Thomas

Hi
from my experience here are some design considerations
Don't use MSDE! just ask me for a list of reasons why :(

Do use SQL! but don't install it to the operating system drive have a dedicated data drive and put your SQL databases there
Capacity plan the SQL at the start, moving the databases under sharepoint can be a world of pain, its not just a case of relocating the databases under SQL manager...
A small farm consisting of a dedicated SQL and a dedicated Sharepoint server is a good starting point

Dont't use eval 120 day eval software for a live site, you can upgrade it but it can go wrong and you will need to put your customisations back see kb 296610

Don't just go ahead and index your file servers, remember that sharepoint looks at the ACL's of each document just because your salary.xls is in a hidden directory doesn't mean its secure. Sharepoint is great at exposing security holes!

Does Sharepoint 2003 use SQL agent to back up with veritas? I thought in Portal Server 2001 it used the sharepoint agent. Did this change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back