Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shareing IRQ's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizz

MIS
Sep 5, 2001
US
Currently my system has 8 items sharing/conflicting IRQ 9. Is there a way to change the IRQ's on the hardware items to one that is not used? I have several open IRQ's but it seems that it wants them all on 9. My video card, sound card, 2 network cards, 2 VIA USB host controllers, OHCI IEEE host controller, and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System. I am crashing either to desktop or blue screening in certain aplications. All blue screens have the IRQ not less or equal to. I have wrote down the error codes and looked on MS site and they say has to do with IRQ's.

Hello,

1st; Always check the IRQs at the BIOS Level first !
without loading the OS, and a floppy in the drive...
2nd; some cards can share IRQ, but usually only an input device with an output device, recheck them at the DOS level... MSD
3rd; Win2k seems to show them all Cards on one IRQ, but its ok... if the BIOS shows them on different IRQs.

"as a rule" try to limit the cards in your system if you want it stable !
Reguardless of what anyone says, computer are not perfect!
and IRQs are just one Major Problem no one seems to have the balls to tackle...
Also pay attention to your motherboard manual, it may tell you which SLOTS share IRQs and remember which devices Don't.

Normally computers can handle;
1 CPU IRQ-01
1 Clock IRQ-02
1 modem IRQ-03
1 COM-01 IRQ-04
1 sound card IRQ-05
1 Floppy Drive IRQ-06
1 LPT-01 IRQ-07
1 CMOS IRQ-08
1 video card IRQ-09
1 network card IRQ-10
1 scsi IRQ-11
1 PS2 Mouse IRQ-12
1 MathCo IRQ-13
1 IDE-01 IRQ-14
1 IDE-02 IRQ-15
That's all you get...why it's not 100 insted of 15...
Don't ask, you'll make me start using colorful medifores again...

Y9ou can free up IRQs by using USB Mouse, USB Keyboard and so on...disable COM1 etc,,etc,,etc,,,,,no one has a Com Mouse anymore I hope!

Good Luck, Hope this Helps!....someone....

"Hacker by Heart"
saenzcorp@hotpop.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back