Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sharedata Subsets possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bendjlee

Programmer
Apr 27, 2011
NZ
I have a "master" datawindow which contains (for argument sake) a population sample categorized by age group i.e. teens, adults and pensioners (again this is for argument sake; we have three categories)

For each category i am building a separate datawindow tailored specific to that group.
I wish to utilize share data for this purpose for each of my three corresponding datawindow objects. however for each datawindow i wish to limit the result set to only the records of the aforementioned group (teens, adults, pensioners)

How can i achieve the above? PB11.

Thanks in advance

You can't unless your master only has records from one of your three groups. If you are thinking you can retrieve the entire data set into the master, filter for a single group, assign to a second datawindow via sharedata, filter the master for a second group, assign to a third datawindow via sharedata, etc. this is not possible via sharedata since once you issue the sharedata command, the datawindows share all their buffers.

You are better off using some sort of method which copies the rows from the master over to the individual datawindows and then back to the master (only copy rows back which have changed/inserted/deleted).

Matt

"Nature forges everything on the anvil of time"

Thanks mbalent,

thanks for pointing out this method would only work to sharedata between two datawindows (after filtering) and that the technique won't work for subsequent dw's

would have made my life much easier if it could have taken a one main datawindow and filtered it three ways and bound each dataset to separate child window simultaneously...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back