Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared variables + subreports 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdwetz

Programmer
May 14, 1999
US
I have 3 linked subreports which summarize various data (which I store in separate shared variables). In the footer of my main report, I display and total all of these shared variables. It works on occasion, but usually only returns the data for either one or two subreports (even though each has it calculated properly within the subreport).<br>
<br>
One thing I noticed is that when I have a page break between each of the subreports, either one or none are displayed correctly in the footer. When I don't, it varies... for a small dataset that has all 3 subreports on one page the data appears as it should; for larger datasets it usually doesn't.<br>
<br>
Any ideas on things to try? I've only used Crystal for a month or so now, but a co-worker who's used it for a few years was stumped as well.<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
Pete<br>

This doesn't really address your issue, but is rather a way of avoiding it completely. How about calculating the result for your subreports (along with the report itself) in a stored procedure, so that you are liberated from the somewhat unpredictable features of subreports? As you can probably tell, I have had trouble with some of the more advanced features in Crystal Reports (subreports, cross tabs, etc), and I have found that just using Crystal Reports for formatting and simple summaries keeps the bugs at bay. It does make for some complex SQL, but when you get there, it is faster and consistent.<br>
Good luck - if you do persevere with the subreports and find a solution, I would be interested in hearing about it. <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back