Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Printer problem with Terminal Sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathstar

MIS
Aug 28, 2001
CA
I am having a problem that I can't seem to resolve. I have a workstation where it's sharing a USB printer to other users in the office area. All users are able to print to the shared printer without any problems, however when the users connect to a W2K3 terminal server it no longer works. I read several forum and many other users are also having this problem, can anyone tell me if they were ever able to get this type of setup to work.

I installed a basic driver for the printer (HP Laserjet 4) and ran many tests so I am 100% positive that the problem lies with the Terminal Session and the shared printer which it's trying to take control of. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

No it's actually a Lexmark. I am using the HP Laserjet 4 drivers and it works from all ends (Server, Workstation sharing the printer and also any remote workstations trying to print to it).

I was incorrect when I stated that it's no longer working. Actually it never worked and I need to get this up and running ASAP.

Thanks for your response

On that workstation, try this:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
In the left pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR
Note To configure default printer redirection for only the current user, locate and then click the following registry subkey instead:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR
On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
Type RedirectDefaultPrinterOnly, and then press ENTER.
Double-click RedirectDefaultPrinterOnly, type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.

Note Type 0 in the Value data box to disable the registry entry. Setting the value data to 0 turns off default printer redirection.
On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.

Works for me when I see this sort of thing but never use Lexmark so it might be something else.

Right idea, wrong copy/paste...

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server
Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR]
"FilterQueueType"=dword:ffffffff

is what I meant.

Hi Zelandakh

I already tried this to no avail, this was one of the first work arounds I attempted with no succes. I am still searching the NET to see if anyone was able to get this to work, if there I will post it so anyone having this problem will be able to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back