Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Printer Connection Changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWayne2k

Technical User
Mar 14, 2002
US
Anyone seen this before:
I have a Winnt Server with Jetdirect Software installed, and have a printer (LJ4000 Hp) with network card - setup on the server (works perfectly) The printer is shared on the network as HP. When I connect a WinXP Pro. computer to the shared printer \\server\hp the Winxp PC generates the IP port of the printer 192.168.1.56 instead of creating the port with the share \\server\hp... The reason I want the share \\server\hp instead of the ip is because I can't select trays when printing directly to the 56 IP, but with the share I can (I know that the shared name work on WinXP because the computer was setup that way before, but I had to reinstall WinXP because the drive went out, and I can't get the shared name back on there) ANY SUGGESTIONS??? THANKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back