Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared printer connected via USB

vgulielmus

Programmer
Jan 27, 2014
RO
A PC using Windows 10 32 has a USB printer attached (Lexmark T420).
The printer does not have a net card.
The printer is shared, and the network discovery is turned on.

From another computer I tried to connect to the shared printer, but I got the 0x000709 error.

From the second computer, the first computer can be accessed, and I see the shared printer, but I cannot access it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Can you please give the steps you are using to try and set up the shared printer on the second computer? Is this the first time you are trying to connect to the shared printer or did the second computer work previously with that printer?

DrB0b, thank you for the reply,
As you can see, the computer is available, but cannot connect the shared printer
The host PC is connected to a domain server, and the printer has two drivers installed, but both react into the same way.
tek1.png
The pictures are from a Windows 7 computer, but I got the same error messages from a Windows 10 device, and even from the host computer itself, when I tried to connect the printer as a network shared printer.
tek2.png
The shared printer was previously available to other workstation form the same LAN, but recently we moved to a new location.
In the process we installed a new router and we changed every IP used by the devices (computers, printers), but was a minor change ( from xxx.xx1.xxx.xxx to xxx.xx2.xxx.xxx),, so mistakes are excluded.

Being a domain joined PC, I would start by trying the enabling "RPC over named pipes" and "No authentication" as seen here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/a...000709-error-when-installing-a-shared-printer

If no luck I would continue in the posting and try the registry edit mentioned. Let me know if either help with your situation.

If not, I have heard of an issue with a previously shared printer that was deleted and attempted to be reshared but it would throw that error. You can try unsharing, renaming, and resharing the printer to see if it will create the new pathing in the registry.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back