Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared print devices on DHCP instead of static?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallst32

MIS
Apr 14, 2003
US
I've always used static IP addresses for shared printers without any issues. I am now supporting a new environment where in the in place solution is DHCP, really more for convenience than anything else. It relies on DDNS to register a printer in DNS to match the port name (specified as FQDN instead of IP).

While I do see the benefits of DHCP (ie. moving a printer; I'm not quite sure they outweight the cons, especially when uptime is of very high importance (ie DNS replication after new IP). I was just wondering if anyone has been using DHCP for shared print devices long term and can comment on the stability.

We do reservations on printers, works fine. Always on the same IP and no worries about DNS.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

We static ours. When we planned out the network we set aside a block of IP's for printers, servers, etc. Of course ten years later those "blocks of IP's" are full and we have carved out a different set, but the user never sees that.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

DHCP reservations make administration much easier. You can look in DHCP to see where your IP addresses are being consumed. Also, changes such as DNS can be pushed down to the devices easier. No need for sneaker-net.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

We use DHCP reservations. You don't want to run around to every printer in your company to change an IP setting on the printers is something should change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back