Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared memory permission denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIS
Jul 26, 2001
US
I'm running Informix Dynamic Server 7.31 on HP-UX 11.0, when starting the db with oninit or through onmonitor I'm receiving the following message:
Shared memory: permission denied

Anyone know know who to fix this???

Only guessing here:

Is this a new database instance? Did you initialize the shared memory before you tried to start it?

Are you logged on as root or informix?

Is there any error number with the message? Sometimes it's hard to tell when the message is a Unix error or an Informix error.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but I've never seen this message.

Jane

Hi,
I found the solution. To answer the above: there is only one instance, user was informix, the engine had problems coming up after a restore.
I did an onmode -ky to bring it down. Then did an onint -r to be bring the server to recovery mode, checked onstat -d to see what flags my dbs and chunks were in, found I needed to do an ontape -n, saw the status of the chunks improve, last I was able to the an onmode -m to bring the server up online.
Carmen

Great. Think I'll file this away in case I ever have similar problems.

Jane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back