Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shared library and browser cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

swathik

Programmer
Jul 18, 2006
US
Hi,
It looks like inspite of loading shared library swf explicitly (like sharedLib.swf?verson=....), import from runtime sharing of a symbol from sharedLib picks up from old sharedLib.swf from cache.

Anyone knows how to overcome this ?

-swami

I dont think its server cache.

This is my exact scenario.

shared lib swf is sharedLib.swf and it has symbol with "export to runtime sharing" set to relative URL sharedLib.swf .

testSharedLib.swf is the test swf which has the symbol on stage (meaning it has "import from runtime sharing" set to sharedLib.swf)

main.swf has loadMovie("sharedLib.swf?version=<math on time>") in first frame and second frame does attachMovie of the symbol.

With this setup , i see in cache files in IE 2 files
1. sharedLib.swf?version (this is due to explicit load)
2. sharedLib.swf (due to import from runtime sharing)

When i do some changes in the symbol , compile sharedLib.swf and deploy it ,after next time load ,i see that sharedLib.swf?version 's got updated but not the sharedLib.swf.

Problem is , relative URL given in export/import runtime sharing looks for sharedLib.swf in the cache.

Any way to make it work for shared lib swf's.

I have just tested it on both IE and Firefox on local PC, and the shared symbol was updated without any problem.

The only differences between my set up and yours are:

1. I didn't append any query strings when loading shared_lib.swf
2. I used MovieClipLoader class to load shared_lib.swf

May be you want to test with barebones set up?

Kenneth Kawamoto

Thanks.Will try it out .

By the way what cache settings you have in your browser .
Is it check for newer versions of files
1. whenever new browser is open or
2. every visit to page or something else ?

-thanks

The cache setting will not affect Flash shared library. Even if I set to "Never", the shared assets will be instantly updated. But this is because I'm testing this in the local environment; if you test this in the HTTP server things may be different.

Kenneth Kawamoto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back