Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Internet Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROCKENMA

Technical User
Nov 11, 2002
US
I would like to share my internet connection between two
different wired networks. In my home, I have a linksys 5 port combination wired/wirless router. At this point it works great for my "home network". I plug in my high speed internet connection to the router and it in turn issues out IPs to each machine I connect to the router. (Basically, it is functioning as a DHCP server and sharing my internet connection). Here is my question. I have an office that is approximately 200-400 feet away from my house that I would also like to share the high speed connection with. Is there an easy way of doing this? I also have 2 linksys WAP11's but am not using them at the moment. I don't believe that setting the "office computers" with wireless cards will work simply because of the distance issue. What I was hoping for was a way to interconnect my wireless router and WAP11's or possibly another wireless router at the office. Again the biggest issue is sharing the internet connection! I don't want to buy another high speed connection since it is $58 a month. Could a second linksys router be somehow bridged or made a client of the first such that all my office computers also receive their IP's from my main home linksys router .. thus creating one big network?

Other information:
All of my machines run windows 2000 Professional. One of my WAP11's is older and has the USB configuration port. The other is newer as supports the configuration through a web utility or setup program. The router is a 5 port linksys and supports the "g" protocol.

The WAP11 supports a bridge mode that would serve you nicely.

If you do not need wireless Access Point services at the remote site, using a simple switch at the remote end would provide the connection you desire.

See, for example:
(If you scroll down in the site, there are specific instructions for setting up a WAP11 to WAP11 bridge.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back