Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Hosting...Effect on Search Engines ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggyRat

Technical User
Dec 17, 2006
US
hello again...!!!

(woke up wondering about this in the middle of the night, last nite):

Background: my recording studio's site used to be a set of pages on my main site (an indie music promotion site). it now has it's own domain...

...but...

Q: The hosting plan I went with...w/ GoDaddy...was an upgrade from a 'standard' to a 'deluxe'. this means I can host two sites for a reduced rate, which I went for. it also means that my original site (moonjams) remains as the Primary account. My new domain (moonmixstudios) is the Secondary account. (I guess you could say it's shared hosting?)

so...my new site's files reside in a folder of the same name in the moonjams directory...with some sort of url re-director or pointer or something in place for people wishing to visit the new site.

now...it works fine for web surfers...

but how about for search engines...???

thanks much,

BiggyRat
MoonMix Studios

It'll work fine for search engines.

Search engines index content against the URLs that point to it. Just what hosting set-up connects example.com with a particular page of HTML doesn't really matter to them.

The only issue you might have is if the moonmix pages can still be addressed as being in a subdirectory of moonjam as well as through their own domain. That's called a "canonical" issue - one page having many addresses - and needs to be sorted out. You need to be using a 301 redirect to send people from your old addresses to the new ones.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

wow...!!!

[have been busy setting up recording equipment & forgot to come back...thanks a million...very good, useful info...everybody...!!!]

I have some additional questions...[some of which go tho what ChrisHunt said]...(sorry, but I'm still a neophyte at this). I'll number them for easier response:

so...my new site (MoonMix Studios) is up & running...& submitted to Yahoo, Google, Bing & Ask...3 of which required an authorization meta tag, which I complied with.

1) would they have found me anyway...without the meta tags ? (not an important question, here...just curious).

my old site was a set of pages on another domain (MoonJams). as of right now...that old url keeps coming up in test searches I perform. so what I did was to rearrange that page w/ redirection info & a link to the new domian: http://www.moonjams.com/moonmix_studio.biz.htm.

now...I obviously want the major search engines to quit showing that address...& display the new domain (& I only left that page up for those surfers who have, or who find, the old link). On the old site (MoonJams)...there are NO physical links left to that page. so...

2) what is the best way to get rid of that old address in the major search engines...??? [2A) will resubmitting MoonJams to the search engines do the trick...now that any physical links are gone from that domain...???]

3) Is my 'redirection page' the best way to go about redirection...or should it be accomplished automatically somehow...in the code...?

4) are there other search engines out there I haven't covered...??? (I've covered Ask, Bing, Google & Yahoo).

thanks very much...& again...thanks for all the useful info already given...by all,

Biggy Rat
MoonMix Studios

UPDATE...

migrated my site(s) over to the Linux platform (from Windows)...& now the '301 Redirect' (in the form of an .htaccess file) works great.

(my recording studio's site had been a set of pages on my old domain...& was redesigned & placed on it's own domain. didn't wan't to lose my SE ranking, but was on a windows platform & couldn't get an easy redirect going).

anyway:

1) will it (.htaccess) work for everybody...???

2) should I REMOVE the old page...??? (only asking 'cause I do not want SE's to find it & catalog it despite having the 301 at the top of the directory...if such a thing will happen).

3) audiopro...I have validation errors...??? must be the marquee. I check it out, thanks.

thanks,

BR

1) will it (.htaccess) work for everybody...???
Yes. Any browser (or bot) trying to retrieve the old page will be told to get the new page instead.

2) should I REMOVE the old page...??? (only asking 'cause I do not want SE's to find it & catalog it despite having the 301 at the top of the directory...if such a thing will happen
Nobody can get at the old pages, because your redirect will send anybody trying on to the new page. However, it's sensible to remove the old pages so as not to confuse yourself in the future when you can't remember which pages are live and which aren't.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back