Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared file formula issue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wootoid

Technical User
Jul 26, 2008
US
We have an Excel file that three different users access on a server. Up until today this fle has worked fine for all three. It is a password protected file which I do not personally have access to. It is designed to populate a cell based upon a drop down list selection from the box next to it.

The issue we are running into is that, as of today, when one user accesses the file and enters a value from the drop down the field that is supposed to populate based on the formula, does not populate. This only occurs for one of the three users, and the other two have no problems at all.

Also when this particular spreadsheet is opened by this user only, she has other spreadsheets that start to have similar issues. When she closes the one, the others start to work fine.

We thought that she may have a different macro security setting than the other two, but that is not the case. We had her try entering the spreadsheet in read only mode, as well as simply shutting it down and reopening excel. We have not had the opportunity to have her access it from a different pc yet.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may cause just one user to be having issues like this, though she has been able to access it before, and both of her colleagues still can?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Aren

What's the formula?
What's in the drop down?
Does the workbook contain any VBA/macros?

[tt][blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Does the user have CALCUATION set to MANUAL?

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

She does have the same issue from another pc.

@higgins
I do not have access to the formula (I am ssomwhat limited as to how I can approach this), but like I said it works for both of the other users.

The drop down contains a list of names that the formula uses to access another array, which it then pulls the appropriate data to the next cell.
It does not contain any macros.

@Skip
I will have to check, but hers is the only of the three that she said does say calculate when she selects the drop down at the bottom of the screen, so I am going to assume her settings are different than the other two.

OK, while I was writing this they called back and said they managed to get it working by having one of them save it to their system and then copy back over the one on the server. Not sure why replacing one with a copy of itself would change anything, but I am not overly knowledgeable in Excel. To the both of you, thanks for your help.

Aren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back