Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared documents on server spawn random temp files and copies 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

link470

Technical User
Sep 1, 2005
CA
Hi! I'm working for a company configuring a file server for all the departments.

I have the following configuration set up:

-Each department has a shared folder, in each department, there are sub departments, such as accounting, and inside accounting for example, accounts payable, accounts receivable, etc. Only those staff, such as accounts payable can write and modify those files, and everyone else in accounts can read.

-Each department has a "collaboration" folder, where they can put documents everyone in the department can edit. But only the person who put it there [creator/owner] can delete it.

-Then there's a staff share folder, the staff share folder has a folder inside for each department. Everyone can read the staff folder, so staff can share between departments.

What's happening, is the accounts staff are in accounts collaboration and working on a file. Only one person has it up, and they can save it successfully. But random files are appearing each time they make a change and save it. Things like fsa1a3.tmp or fsa373.tmp etc. None of the actual files are anywhere close to names like that. The file could be called Accounting speadsheet 2007 and it would show as either a 6 or 8 character temp file with random letters and numbers. Just wondering what causes this and if anyone has had it happen on their network. Thanks!

Server is Windows 2000 Server, all workstations are Windows XP Professional.

What's happening is users are trying to modify the files but they cannot since they need the delete right in order to do so, this is why you have the occurrence of random temp files

Oh wow, thanks for the info! I don't understand why the delete permission would need to be there, that's odd.

Originally I didn't give them the delete permission because I didn't want them to delete the folder directory structure. So I ended up setting everyones permission to modify, and then editing the modify permission. I cleared the delete box, because that would imply they can also delete the share folder. Then I checked the box right above it for "Delete Subfolders and Files". Everything seemed to work perfectly until I started seeing these files.

Is there anyway to change this so it still works and doesn't produce those random files? Again, only the owner of the file should be able to delete the final copy.

Thanks!

The CREATOR OWNER system account with full rights should be enough to allow the particular user to create/modify/delete their own files and no one elses. Make sure that the right is propagated down the directory path

Hmm, makes sense so far. On the share "collaboration" folder in each department, each user can place something in there if they're in that department. They are the creator/owner, which I've set the permissions on Collaboration to modify for creator/owner with the change of "delete", to "delete subfolders and files" so that they won't delete the structure.

However for everyone else, they also have modify, the exact same permissions as creator owner, except I've removed the check box from delete, and instead of checking delete subfolders and files, Ive just left it blank. So they have no delete priveledges.

Now, as you said, they need delete permission to modify. Is there a way to allow the person who placed the file (to be edited by everyone) in the folder, to delete the file? Yet still let others edit it and add to it, but not delete it? That's the way it is now, however the temp files keep spawning.

Thanks again for all your help! Really appreciate the replies.

I had a similar situation, what we did though was have users only "deposit" the files in this collaboration folder and NOT be able to perform any modifications. If they wanted to modify the files then they would have to modify their original and deposit it. This is why companies tend to implement apps like Notes and Sharepoint specifically for these purposes (but I digress)

Ya that's exactly what I had set up before. I had it so people could just place the files in, and take a copy to their local C drive, edit it, and place it back on the share drive with their completed version for whoever needed the modifications to review. This made sense to me and the Administrator here I'm working for. But of course the whole building complained. So being 19 years old and working for ex military people, I gave in and tried to do it this way :p Thanks for your help! Much appreciated. I'll see if the company has enough to purchase a Sharepoint license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back