Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

shared deskjet - can not print concurrently

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionelbrown

Programmer
Apr 9, 2001
US
I have 4 PCs running win98, one of them is sharing an HP deskjet 810c printer. I can print from each of them without problems. However, when I try to print concurrently (for example print a Word document from 2 PCs at the same time) I get "Error ... lpt1, port already in use... another application may be using the port .... close all applications and try again".

I'm using file and print sharing and the PCs belong to the same workgroup connected by a switch (which is connected to a LAN). Each machine is also running Novell 3.31 client with Novell Distributed Print Services (don't think Novell should cause a problem, but just in case....).

I assumed that the print jobs would be queued. Is this incorrect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, I would suggest to you that you install or configure a printing queue. Give priority to the one that is most beneficial to you or you organization. Or maybe even a printer Agent to help you keep up with the status of the printing job.
Hope that you find this to be useful!
Kenya Nichols
UNIX SYS Admin - Netowrk Admin
kncybernutt@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back