Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Contacts. Need Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tecknogeek

Technical User
Mar 31, 2006
Hello,
I'm a newbie to exchange. I've installed Exchange 2003 and all seems to be running correctly except this shared contact problem.
Once you share contacts in exchange 2003 how do you use the contacts from that shared sorce in a new e-mail. The problem is when outlook is open and a new e-mail is started then you click on the (To:) to add a contact, Only problem is you cant add from the shared contacts. they don't show up. only ones there are my personal contacts.
On the other hand if I open the contacts tab in outlook and click the check box next to the shared contacts I can see them all day.
Any help is apperciated.......
Thanks,

In Outlook, right click the Public Folder holding the contacts, and click PROPERTIES. Go to the Outlook Address Book tab and check the box.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

58sniper,
I opened outlook on my computer. on the left i see my contacts and other contacts. The other contacts are the shared contacts I established by using the "open shared contacts"... link. What public folder are you describing? Or do I need to set up a public folder with those contacts and have everyone link back to them for one central contact list?
Thanks,

You need to create a NEW Public Folder, setting it to contain Contacts. Then do what I mentioned in my first post.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

I know this sounds stupid, but where do I create the Public folder? Through Exchange system manager or on the client computer that has the contacts we all need to use?
Thanks Again........

As mentioned in my first post, it's done in Outlook. Right click Public Folders>All Public Folders and create a new Public Folder.

Microsoft Exchange MVP

When i attempted to add a public folder i get the following Error:

The SSL Certificate server name is incorrect.
ID no: c103b404

I looked online and found a microsoft article stating to remove the certificate and publish a new one. It also says something about the FQDN names for the server and IIS don't match and to correct that when I publish a new one.

The Certificate is a home grown one to allow me to use OWA.
I get to OWA by typing and not
I really don't know where I went wrong and I don't won't to do something that could create an unsecure enviroment and potentially bring this whole thing down crashing down just to create a public folder.
Any suggestions welcomed?

58sniper,
I fixed it. I removed the old CA and created a new one in IIS manager with the proper names. Then fixed the host Headers and that fixed the error. Whew!!!
At that point I was able to create the contact folder in outlook as you said and and assign it to the address book.
All is working well so far,
Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back