Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Shared Calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmw

MIS
Sep 27, 2000
US
I added a shared calendar to my dashboard (portal). No one can enter any appointments. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Thanks,

Dave Webster

Assuming you created the Calendar through the OWA at:
h tee tee p://<your server name FQDN>/Sharepoint Portal Server/Applications/
then...

Log onto the server, click Start-Run type CMD and press enter.

Next temporarily map to the M: drive by typing:
subst m: \\.\backofficestorage

This will map you to the Web Storage System. (Be sure it gets unmapped when you log off... I heard from someone smarter than me that it's bad to keep it mapped) Go to
Windows explorer then look at the M: drive. Here you will
see the applications folder. Drill to the Calendar (or message board, for that matter) you created. Right click to see the security settings... you will notice that the settings for everyone is read only. Change this to write. This will enable users to now post messages...and they can only delete out their own messages not others. If you give
them modify access they can delete out any and all messages. Then you can give the coordinator user id modify
access and he or she or it [rednose] can delete out any message.

This works... no guarantee that it's kosher or politically correct.

Hey BDWAISN,

Thanks so much. That did it.[2thumbsup] The book I was using to do this had the wrong URL. They were trying to use:
Once I changed it to yours, it worked fine. (also did the security throught the M: drive.)

Hey anth1977, I got it from the book Microsoft Sharepoint Portal Server - Building Knowledge - Shareing Apps. by Kevin Laahs.

Glad that worked. Now I have a question for you...

In the OWA Calendar, when I am creating an appointment, there is a line that says &quot;Attachments:&quot;, but there is no visible way (no paper clip button) to actually add an attachment. Have you seen this? Any ideas how to fix? I either want to have the paper clip button there (and functioning) or be able to remove the &quot;Attachment:&quot; text.

Thanks!

Brian

Brian,

Sorry, but I don't know how to get rid of it. Possibly some HTML code somewhere. Maybe it works if you are using a message board instead of a calendar.

Dave

It would be really nice if somebody could tell me how i can add a calender to the sharepoint portal, i tried using a webpart called smart calender but it takes the default outlook calender from my desktop and therefore the calender is not running on the server i assume, if somebody could tell me how to make a calender embeded in the portal for all to use, or in fact what is owa calender and how to get it to work, that would be very nice

Hey guys and gals,
I'm an admin for a STS portal and am about to add an organization-wide calendar to it. I was thinking of trying to customize some scripting around the MS ActiveX Calendar Control... Any suggestions on where to find relevant info?

Thanks in advance! :)
~Tony

I added a Public Calendar, Contacts and Tasks to my portal and am now wrestling with the security. I'm getting network login popup boxes (lots of them) and finally getting on.

I also have other problems.

When the webparts are minimized:
1. Users cannot maximize webpart. The top line does not include the icons to do this. Refresh is the only icon available on this line.

When the webparts are set to open maximized.

1. When a user logs on to the portal, they are presented with a 'Enter Network Password' popup box. The tasks webpart is displayed but not Calendar nor Contacts.

Additional questions regarding how to configure these webparts

1. I am displaying the parts in the center column of Home Page. There is not much room so I wanted to not display the left side pane of Outlook Web Access, or at least reduce its width. This area is not changeable.
2. I wanted to display the View = Contact List as the default display of the Contacts Webpart
3. I wanted to change the field order of the Contact List - remove the field 'Organization'

bdwaisn and gang,
Can you please elaborate, provide more details on setting up a shared calendar. Links, how-to's would be great as well.
Thanks.

We use Outlook Calendar, Contact, Tasks and Discussions in out portals. On our exchange server we create all the components then grant access for the domain users as authors. I then use a General Calendar webpart and input the url to the exchange component. It will prompt once for authentication when accessing. Works great.

Ashley L Rickards
SQL DBA

Can someone recommend some good books on how to use OWA?

see thread68-655386 for my specific question.

I really like how Outlook formatted the calendar when I used the &quot;Save as Web Page&quot; option in the file menu and gave some interactivity (ability to traverse forward/back throughout the months in the date range)

I'm sitting on the client side of the experience tree, and have no idea how to get things rolling on the server side...

Earnie Eng

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back