Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadduci

MIS
Nov 6, 2002
US
Hello,

I am moving a folder structure of user data that contain user directories and then departamental directories. I also have some applications that run locally on the client pc's but point to a data dir on the server.

I am posting this to get popular opinon of the best way to setup the folder structure on the root of c as a shared folder with permissions that are appropriate and secure.

Here are the folder names. Remember the main folder will reside on c.

Let's call the folder that will contain all the subfolders: c:\filestore

ACCT
ACCTMGR
BOOKKEEP
CAPFUND
CONTROL
DEVELOPERS
EXCHANGE
EXEC
FINANCIAL
HORIZON
HR
INFOSYS
LAND
LEGAL
OUTDOOR

AND SO ON...

Currently the user directories reside in the appropriate folder above because that is the department they work in.
So, the INFOSYS folder has a directory named FLastname for that user.

How would you recommend I setup the folder security with people to have permissions to only be able to connect to the group folder they are in, and their own personal folder but not gain access to any other personal folders within the group folder. They also can see the other group folders but not go inside the folder to browse it's contents...

Thanks!

I would start out by ensuring that each group that you referenced above translated to a similar group in your Active Directory. I would share c:\filestor and use NTFS file permissions for the individual folders inside c:\filestore, to restrict access down to what is needed for the group, i.e.: for acct, the accounting group would get access, etc. Just make your users the members of the appropriate groups and you're golden. Hope this helps.

-Jason

Yes, I will create the groups in AD and add the members into the appropriate group.

I guess my question pertains more to how to grant permission to members of a group to prevent them from not being able to go into other users folders, or preventing them from even seeing other users directories in that folder...

How can I manage all this and set it up properly from the get go? When these users create new root level folders (below c:\filestore) how will the permissions work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back