Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share quotas in W2K3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparent

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2004
CA
Hey All,

I am in a bind here since the principal admin is no more, i am stuck setting share quotas on a 2003 server and i cannot find the right place to perform this operation.

Help would be apreciated, thanks all,

Simon

Just right click on the volume in Windows Explorer and select properties. You will get a "Quota" tab. Select the tab and go from there.

Quotas don't apply to a share they apply to the whole volume when enabled.

Cheers!

Well on this disk we have stored all the personal folders of every single employees and some of them have 100MB worth of storage space while others have 250MB! So if, according to what you write, i CANNOT set quotas for specific folders and knowing that all personal folders are on THE SAME DISK, how did my deceased predecessor manage to give larger space allowances to certain users?

I understand the the Disk Quota concept, it is how folder get specific quotas that i do not understand. Much less implementing it...

Thanks for the reply,

Simon

Firstly, you cannot set quotas on folders. Quotas only apply to users. The quotas are calculated by who "owns" the file. So, if you created a file you are the owner of it and it goes towards your quota.

So, your predecessor would have specified larger quotas to different users. By going into the quota tab and clicking the "Quota Entries" button you will see a list of users. By double clicking each user you will be able to set individual quotas for these users.

By the way, you can also specify how to handle over quota users. Either deny them further write access or just show a warning.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

ABOzIT,

Found the "Quota Entries" and fixed my problem all thanks to your help.

Thank you very much,

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back