Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share printer on home network with Win2K pro laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tranman

Programmer
Sep 25, 2001
US
Hi,
I have a home peer-to-peer network consisting of:
2x Win98 SE
3x WinXP Home
1x Suse Linux 9.2 (with Samba)

Running TCP/IP and DHCP via a DLink 808HV NAT Router/ switch/VPN and a cable modem.

One of the XP Home machines is an HTPC (SageTV/3x Avermedia 1500), and so is always on. There is a Brother Laser MFC connected to this machine via USB, which is shared on the network.

All of this works fine, and I am able to share files and share the printer among any/all of the machines on the network (except that the Linux box can't print because I don't have a driver-it has a non-shared Laserjet 4).

So here's the problem...my wife brings her corporate laptop (Win2K Pro-set up for DNS) home, and wants to be able to print on our shared printer.

Some stuff works fine--she can do a VPN/PPTP connection to the network at work with no problems. She can also cruise the web. What she can't do is see the computers/shared files/printer on the home network. Not at all. Can't ping. Can't search for computers and find them. Nothing.

Of course, she's not an administrator on her laptop, so that makes it more complicated.

Does anyone have any ideas? Like can I name my home workgroup the same as her work workgroup and fix the problem? Add her userid to the users on the HTPC? Or should I just have her install the printer on her laptop as a local printer and run a USB cable to it? That would be my last choice.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Tranman

"Adam was not alone in the Garden of Eden, however,...much is due to Eve, the first woman, and Satan, the first consultant." Mark Twain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back