Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

share permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medic42

MIS
Mar 13, 2002
US
when I want to add a user to give them share permissions, I am wondering how to add users from the network..

when I try to add, I click on locations and it only list the users from my computer. I want people from the network to be able to access folders on my drive. Help...I don't do permissions well...

Alan
e911@dlcga.com

Well as far as i know you have to options one being you can set up remote assistance and two you can set up ftp (file transfer protocal) it is way to much to type so go to your start menu go to help and support and type in ftp it will give you all of the information you need.

It's not just one person. I need to have 4 other computers connect to only 1 folder on my pc. We are running XP Pro. As I said, I can create the shared folder, I'm just not sure how to add people to it from the network. They just don't show up and when I click on "locations" It only shows my pc...

Alan

Hi Medic...what kind of network do you have running there?

You will need to assign users permission to see your harddrive. My computer...click on properties of the drive and add users. Be sure that you don't have the guest account disabled or users will be asked for a password or just denied access.

Once you've given users permission to share your drive, you can map a network drive pointing directly to the folder.

Hope this helps

Er...

Better *do* have the guest account disabled (and the dreaded simplified file sharing), and just create local accounts for your users, w/ the same acct names and passwords they are using on their own machines; if you give permissions to these local accounts, and are using decent/normal file sharing, the other users will authenticate as themselves, and the selected permissions will be honoured.

(std disclaimer about using the same workgroup applies, ofcourse).
---
saybibi();
//john
#include <stddiscl.h>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back