Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share Permissions & NTFS Permissions for network share

Status
Not open for further replies.

hack12

IS-IT--Management
Dec 26, 2003
US
Hi All,

I have been struggling with this for some time now and cannot seem to figure it out.

Objective:

Use folder redirection to point each users common folders (my documents, application data etc.) to the share on the server that I have created.

Background:

Migrated a workgroup network to a windows 2003 server domain. Had previous folders for users and have dumped all of them onto the server.

Current situtation:

Shared the folder on the server and have assigned the following permissions

1. Folder : Parent share (eg: x:\profiles).
Owner for parent folder is Administrators group.

(A.) Share Permissions

Administrators & Domain Users Group have Full Control

(B.) NTFS Permissions

Administrators & Domain Users Group has Special Permission (Full control to that parent folder only)

System Group has Full Control over this folder, files and subfolders.

2. Folder: Individual Users Folder (eg: x:\profiles\User1)
Owner for User folder is the User itself. In this eg. User1

(A.) Share Permissions

Administrators Group and User1 have full control

(B.) NTFS Permissions

Administrators Group and User1 have full control to this folder and to sub-folder and files.

Applying the above permissions however I am unable to access any files when I login as the user on a workstation. i can see the files and I am using folder redirection which points to the right folder however when I double click the file to open it says access denied. It doesn't matter if it is a word or excel or acrobat file etc.

Can anyone help in solving this issue. I am trying to get the Administrators group to have full control over every users folders & files. I am trying to get the individual user to have full control over their respective folder and I am trying to deny anyone else from accessing the users folder. Thanks for your help.

When I go into advanced properties in NTFS permissions for a particular group or user there is a check box "Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container only". Can someone please tell me how this works. I am checking this box everytime because I want the same permissions for all files and folders underneath the respective users folder. This doesn't seem to be working the way I expect it to work. Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back