Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share Permission Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHeinonen

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2001
US
Our mac users are getting locked out of folders delivered to their home folder area by other users.

We're using Parent Active Directory user logins on this Child Active Directory File Server. I will revert this server back to a member server at a later time.

You may know that unlike Windows Shares, Mac Shares can not be defined at a sub level folder. Share permissions are set for the entire directory structure at the share point.

Volume security settings may be at the heart of this problem. After reading several Win2K Admin books and reading tips, I haven't got the answer to my problem.

Mac/PC Share Point
\\ION\Network
Sharing priv: Everyone-Full
Security priv: Domain Users-Full, Administrator-Full

The home folders area
\\ION\Network\home

User's folders
\\ION\Network\home\%username%
Security priv: ????

Macs understand ownership and can read the Domain\%username%

They understand one Group membership share permission

My goal is to configure the home folders as Mac "Drop Boxes" but, more importantly to iron out the locked folders in user folder problem first.

Folder ownership should be Administrator. However, these folders being created by Mac users are arriving as owned by the user so when they move locations, they are not changing ownership or inheriting.

What can I do?

Thanks, Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back