Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share or hack problem? Both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogle900

Technical User
Aug 24, 2004
US
How can I see what shares on my system? I mean what folders are being shared? I did a net view \\my_system and I got the following result. What is the "harry333" part? Also, I don't have share that I know of called harry333. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Shared resources at \\jc-fcltd

harry333

Share name Type Used as Comment

-------------------------------------
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.

Also, search for a folder called harry333 on \\my_system that is being shared.

Just a note: the sharename need not have any resemblence to the underlying folder name.

The net share command will list the underlying folder that is being shared with the sharename harry33.

On \\my_system right-click the My Computer icon and select Manage.

Computer Management (Local)/ System Tools/ Shared Folders/ Shares, will give you the path of the folder that is known as Harry333.

A last ditch (IE More manual) way of finding shares if you the share names that come up are meaningless, open Windows Explorer and look for folders with the little hand at the bottom of them.

Right click and check properties on these folders to find out their share name and permissions.

I'd advise the above solutions first as this will take you some time to move through all the folders on your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back