Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share L180 between 2 different software?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 23, 2002
US
Hi. We have an L180 and we were wondering if we could share the library between two different pieces of software. For example, one server would have Veritas loaded on it, and another would have Legato loaded on it.
We want Veritas to control, let's say 2 of the drives, and then Legato would control the other 2 drives.

ACLS has been mentioned, but is there any other way to do this without having to implement ACLS? Thanks for your help!

ACSLS is the solution. ACSLS will control the robotics. The issue is since there is only 1 robotic control, how do 2 software packages share that. That is what ACSLS does. Its really not that expensive.

Hardware wise, provided that both software support multi host initiator, you put both servers ( by the way, this will NOT work on one server, forget that!!) each with a low cost narrow HVD (or LVD after reconfiguring the library) on the same bus with only the library interface, it will work. Let each server have further scsi buses for each drive (but not mixed servers on the same bus.....)
That is, each server has only its own drives, each on its own bus if compression to be used. If no compression, then 2 drives per bus but only if you accept bus resets causing possible backup/restore failures....
That will work.

There are a few issues with that. One being the "Mulit Host Initiator", I don't think the major BU vendors will support this config. Also, check on your STK warranty. Connecting 2 host to one library might void the warranty.

just my thoughts

Firstly, if someone with proper scsi know-how configures the bus for two servers on one library, there will be no damage, secondly the STK guarantee will NOT be affected in anyway, thirdly any company who does NOT support multi initiator for such installs is still living in the 1980`s, but I agree that there are a lot of them about!!
The question should be more can my application share a library pool wise? Windows tends to grab everything when booted for example! Tests need to be made with reserving areas of cells for each application......!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back