Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share Internet w/cisco router 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2001
US
Hi all, I just builted a Win 2K Server in my home network and I want to share the internet using a Cisco 1600 router, I am new to this and need all the help that I can get, does anybody know where can I get white papers detailling how to do this?
By the way, I am sharing the internet righ now using the RRAS feature of Win 2k server but I want to know how to do this with the Cisco Router.
I a using a Cable modem.
Thanks for your advise.
It wasn't me, it was someone that looks a lot like me . . . .

Just set the clients up with the IP address of the router as their gateway address.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

What does the configuration on the Router looks like??

I dont think you get the 1600 working in this scenario, you need two ethernet ports on the router since your connecting to the internet via a cable modem.

eg,

Modem -> router -> switch/hub.

Your modem would connect into ethernet port 1 on the router and you switch/hub would connect into ethernet port 2. Data from you pc's would be routed between the two ports via a static route in the routers routing table.

The 1600 cannot be connected directly to the internet either, you still need the cable modem to terminate the internet link.

Linksys make a router with 4 ports that can be used to set this up. There router also can act as a dhcp server & firewall to your hosts.

Hi,

You must have a 1605 router (dual ethernet router) and the important parts of the config would look like this:

interface ethernet0
description -> Connection to Cable modem for Internet Access
ip address dhcp
no cdp enable
ip nat outside
no shut

interface ethernet1
description -> Connection to LAN based hub for Home PC/User Connections
ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
ip nat inside
no shut

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255
ip nat inside source list 1 interface ethernet0 overload

--------------------------------------------

My router is a 1601 with only one ethernet port (eth0) and a 10baseT (RJ-45) port, I am new to Cisco and I guess that this router can't do this job?
Can I set the 10 Base T port as eth1??

Thanks for all your input and Keep up the good work!!

the eth0 AUI and the RJ45 port are one and the same port. You can use either or, but if you use the AUI port, you will need a Transceiver. To answer your questions, you cannot do it. Sell your router on ebay and buy the one you want. You can't go wrong with the 4 port Linksys, it costs as low as $50.

I was responding to debugall answer...I have the 1605 router and was wondering how you configure ethernet0 for dhcp client?

i tried
ip address dhcp
but that doesn't seem to work?

also i always get that damn lost carrier messege..is there a way i can stop that..or would that be considered good practice to leave as is?

Thanks, PAUL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back