Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share internet connection -windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

stralkin

Technical User
Jun 1, 2005
US
i need to share an internet connection on my laptop with win 2000 pro service pack 4. The help section tells me to right click the connection, get properties and go to the "share" tab where i will find a check box labled " enable internet connection sharing for this connection " The problem is that the properties on the connction has no "sharing tab", and i haven't been able to find anything close on any of the other properties of the connection ( a dial up connection ) - what am i doing wrong?

Thanks I looked at the url you provided, and under the "Setting Up the host" section, it describes the properties dialog box for the connection you want to share. the properties box has two tabs, general and sharing, and you are supposed to check the "enable internet connection sharing---" box.
My problem is this
the properties dialog box on my version of windows 2000 shows 4 tabs (general, options, security, networking), and no where under any of these tabs is there a check box or similar means to enable internet connection sharing. I am wondering if some of the later versions of WK2000 may have changed this feature or ?

Here are Microsoft's requirements for ICS from this article:

• DSL or cable modem connected to an Internet Service Provider (ISP) and an activated DSL or cable account.
• Two installed network adapters. This article describes how to install a second network adapter.
• The network is already configured with functioning TCP/IP.

Do you meet all these requirements? Specifically, I would think if anything, you're missing the second ethernet card.

Also, I think you need to run a service to support that feature. You can check which services are running in Administrative Tools, Control Panel. I haven't used win2k for a while so I don't remember exactly which one.

Amos43 is correct, it is called the Internet Connection Sharing Service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back