Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share internet access over a vpn? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junior1544

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
US
I have a bit of a problem...

Relevant information:
All operating systems involved are Win xp Pro.
At home I use a soho router.

My problem is that I need to be able to use the internet connection from my office from home because I need to be able to access certain web sites from home that track the IP address of the user and only let in certain one's. I've already gotten permision from my company to connect to their network via vpn so that I can work from home.

Right now I'm able to connect via the vpn connection. I'm using the vpn stuff built into winxp pro... From my home pc I connect with no problem, but then I have no internet access, neither through my cable modem, or through the vpn from the office...

Any idea's??

--James

junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

I would think the Firewall on the VPN has something to do with it. You can connect to the VPN server, right? Since your SOHO router probably has your VPN protocol passthrough enabled I would say to look at your permissions on the VPN server. You may want to disable the WinXP firewall just to test the vpn in a cleaner environment. What VPN protocol are you using? PPTP? IPsec?

In the future everything will work...

The firewall is now off, it's still not working...

the protocal is pptp...

Any other possabilities?? I tried looking at ics, but i can't enable it because I only have one nic in the vpn server...

--James

junior1544@jmjpc.net

Just for thought, have you looked at remote desktop to your work desktop from home, and then surf from your work desktop?

I hadn't thought of that... I'll look into it a bit...

Any thoughts on a web proxy that'll work, is cheep/free and easy to configure??

--James

junior1544@jmjpc.net

What you are referring to is called "Split Tunneling". You will need to talk to your work's Network Admin, as split tunneling is considered an extremely large security risk.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

I havn't heard the term Split Tunneling befor, Could you describe it a little for me??

I wasn't asking for all of those things, any one should do. Also, I have a static IP at home, so it can be blocked at a few levels for any one but me...

--James

junior1544@jmjpc.net

Split Tunneling is a term used in the VPN community as the ability to both access a VPN share, and access the internet as well.

While it may be possible to access the internet at work (must be specified in your company's access control lists), split tunneling allows you to access the internet at home while connected to the VPN. This is a major security risk, as it allows all internet related content a secure connection to your network.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

ok, Thanks...

I'll reconsider this route and talk to a few people at the office to see what they think...

Thanks a bunch!

--James

junior1544@jmjpc.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back