Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share Hand Icon missing on shared devices 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ockerb

Technical User
Oct 11, 2002
Hi Fellas
I have 2 pc's and 1 laptop shared in a home network. All are running Windows XP Pro. My main pc which is the one connected to the internet (via a dlink modem/router)does not display the sharing "hand" under the drives that are shared, both in "My Computer" and "windows Explorer". However, the "hand" is displayed under the shared printer. Strangely enough the network is working fine and the "hand" is displayed correctly on the other 2 shared computers. It's probably not an issue but how can I get the "hand" to display correctly? One other observation to note, the problem computer is XP SP1 and the other 2 are XP SP2.
Thanks for your time
Ockerb

Have you used TweakUI or similar to remove this icon from Shared Drives?

What if you unshare then recreate the share on the drives?

Thanks linney
I unshared and shared again and it made no difference. I do run Tweak-XP but have never delved into it much - haven't made any tweaks at all really.
Any other ideas?

This is the Registry Key and Default Value which controls the Hand.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Network\SharingHandler
Default value = ntshrui.dll

Make sure you have this dll in the System32 folder and that is is not corrupted (try replacing it).

Try running TweakIU from Microsoft just as linney said. There's an option in that program to repair icons. That might help.

Also, if you are not using simple file sharing, and are using hidden shares ie. C$, D$ etc, the hand will not show.

Thanks everyone for your assistance, it was the default value in the registry that was incorrect, I changed it and everything was ok. I don't know how it happened though.

ockerb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back