Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share folder across network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon Ways

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
Hi. I don't understand much about networking, so apologies if this is obvious.

I have two computers at home, one running windows Vista, the other running windows XP Home. they are wirelessly networked via a workgroup - not a domain.

I have a folder on the vista machine that i would like to share with the XP machine. However, i would like the XP machine to only have read access, not write. Can someone please explain the procedure for doing this.

In addition, I would like the user of the XP machine to have automatic access to this folder, without having to provide any credentials. Is it possible to share the folder using the XP computer user account rather than a new user account on the vista machine. i.e. share with \\xp computer\user?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

This should be fairly straight forward, to be honest...you just need to follow the on-screen instructions.

1. Go to the Control Panel and bring up the Network & Sharing Centre

2. Make sure File Sharing is turned on

3. right click on your folder you want share (on the Vista machine) and select Share...

4. Notice that it says "People must have a user account and password..." at the top. If you don't want this, go back to the Network & Sharing Centre and turn off Password Protected Sharing

5. Select the users you want to have access to the folder from the dropdown box in the File sharing window. If you don't want to create a user account on the Vista machine for the XP user, just select Everyone.

6. Select their access permission where it says Permission Level. They're set to Reader by default, so you can leave that.

7. Click the Share button. Notice that folder now has an icon with two overlapping people in it. It's as simple as that.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back