Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share Files in Windows 2000 -> Win 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have System insatlled with Win 2000 Professional version. I would like to know how can i share folder from Win 2000 accessable to Other Win 98 Clinets in the network

I think you share it as normal and to enable passwords, enable the guest account on win 2k and set a password for it. Then use that password on the win98 pc

I'm having the same problem. I can't get into Win2000 system from my Win98 system dispite having the shared permissions wide open.
I'll try the Guest login idea and see if that helps

OK Now I'm really frustrated.
I've done everything that was posted in the FAQ section, I've loaded NETBEUI, I've made sure the workgroups are the same, etc.
I still can't get WIN98 computer to access the Win2k PRo computer. Says I don't have permission to access it. I've set the shared folder setting wide open. What am I missing here. Now I'm being to understand why Win2k is considered a admin nightmare.
followthebits

try this link i beleive that it has the answers you are looking for

let me know if it helps at all

thread96-211523

Thanks for the help. Here's a summary:

I have networked a Win2K box with an XP box through a D-Link DI-704P router. Both boxes share the internet connection just fine. Both computers can &quot;see&quot; each other in Network Places. The Win2K box can access the shared drive on the XP box and read/write/execute on it. However, the XP box, while it can see the Win2K box, cannot access the shared drive on the Win2K box. Trying to access the computer, it says &quot;//HAL <my win2k box> is not accessible. See your administrator to make sure you have rights to this network resource&quot; or something similar. Right now, the machines are using TCP/IP as the protocol.

I have trolled the internet collecting solutions, and none have worked:

1. Yes, I have shares on both machines. Yes, workgroup names are the same.
2. XP box does not have Internet Connection Firewall enabled.
3. I have set up the same login/password on both machines, no dice.
4. I enabled the Guest account on the Win2k machine. Nothing.
5. I set permissions on the Win2K machine to &quot;Everyone&quot; and probably everything else that looked good. Still nothing.
6. Grasping at a glimmer of hope, I installed Netbeui protocol on both machines and got nothing. In fact, when I did this the machines were unable to see each other in Network Places, so it seemed like a step back. I also enabled NetBIOS in this step and got nothing.
7. One of the first things I tried was to install the NW IPX/SPX protocol on both machines, which also yielded nothing. Actually, it caused both machines to not see each other, as in #6.

We do have BlackIce on the Win2K machine, but I turned it off and it didn't make a difference.

Again, thanks for your help. I may cut and paste this into a posting as well, so you may see it again from time to time.

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back