Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share does not work with server Alias or LMHOSTS name

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetford

MIS
May 30, 2001
US
We have a need to use NetBIOS aliase names for our servers when creating shares. For instance

"PING HostAliasName" works fine

NET USE Y: \\HostAliasName\Sharename

Does not work. It gives a "Network name cannot be found error". All the attemped connections below are from the same W2K client over an unrouted network to the same W2K server. The domain uses DHCP, WINS and DNS.

"HostAliasName"is setup statically in WINS and does respond to a ping with the same IP address as a "HostName" ping

NET USE Y: \\HostName\Sharename

Works fine as does

NET USE Y: \\<IP adress>\Sharename

In addition we have defined the NetBIOS name in LMHOSTS. This name is mapped to the same IP address.

&quot;PING LMHOSTSName&quot; works file

NET USE Y: \\LMHOSTSName\Sharename

does not work giving a System Error 51 and &quot;The Remote Computer is not Available&quot;.

Question. Why does the share setup with NET USE work when using the WINS defined hostname or the IP address and does not work when a WINS alias or an LMHOST name is used ?

I dont know about WINS aliases but LMHOSTS is bypassed as long as a WINS server is set for use. The LMHOSTS file would not be needed for the WINS does all the name resolution. Without WINS then the system woulfd look at the LMHOSTS file. I am guessing that with WINS alias it would be the same way. Since the WINS does everything the local files such as LMHOSTS (and again i do not know much about alias) would be bypassed.

Does this help? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

What is it your trying to do? I amy have misread your question above. This is all happenning on the server side and not the client side correct? If so then I am off base above. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James,

Thanks for your input.

To re-phrase our problem. We have the host name of the server to be accessed built into some extensive code. The server name was changed due to reorganization and naming policy change. Ideally, we don't want to change the code but contunue to use the same name(s).

In answer to your questions:

The NET USE statements are executed on the clients.

When testing out which host identifiers (Name, aliasName, IP, and LMHOST) work, I am using either an LMHOSTS or WINS name resolution approach, not both at the same time. All identifiers reslove to the same IP address.

Just use DFS and create any name you wish to use.

to use DFS you have to install the AD client for win9x machines. The setup software is located on your w2k server CD

also to my knowledge you are stuck using the Computers real Netbois name. Netbois is not a very good protocol that is the reason MS is moving away from it.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back