Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

share documents between branch offices 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicrjm

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2005
US
I have a branch office in TX and CA. I'm looking for a solution to share PDF documents between the two branch offices. Basically, the TX branch will scan invoices to a "public" folder for the CA branch to approve. I'm trying to avoid having the users send these documents over email back and forth. Neither branch has an IT staff onsite so I'm looking for an easy solution. Maybe users could upload the PDF to a cloud based service. Any ideas for this?

Look at Sharepoint if you're running a Windows infrastructure.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

If you go with a cloud solution, such as dropbox, be sure to consider the security implications. Dropbox had some issues in this regard. Here is a link discussing the issue(s) from a reputable resource.

Personally, I think cloud storage works great. The easy answer to many of the security issues is to use PGP/GPG to encrypt the stuff you put there. I have a fairly high degree of confidence in public key encryption, as long as you use a sufficient key.

You could even expand this idea to have different keys for different groups and that way using one dropbox could keep stuff only accessible to authorized individuals.

I would recommend using strong passwords and changing them periodically too.

I've been using Truecrypt for years on my local box. I plan on creating a Truecrypt volume on the dropbox account for the added security.

Hi Magic,

I'd check that truecrypt is happy with more than one person mounting the volume and that dropbox does not just start making conflict copies of the file.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back