Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share and Network drive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhope

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
HI!

I have a workgroup with 2000 server, xp home edition and win98 clients. I have mapped network drives to shared folders on the server.

The problem is the xp clients will not reconnect the mapped drives. If I click on the disabled drive it ask for username and password, once entered the drive becomes enabled. Cannot figure why the drive will not reconnect.

The win98 client has a problem seeing one of the shared folders. I can see the other folders that are shared, but not this one. I checked the permissions and there is no problems there. I also rebooted the server and client but still cannot see the shared folder. Any Ideas?

Dhope

Being that it is a workgroup, it could not authenticate itself to the server. Suggestion:

1. Change your workgroup into a domain. Once that's done, join all your workstations to the domain. After doing so, you should be able to get to it.

2. Map your network drive and remember to "Connect using a different user name" option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back