Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Share a broadband connection for a network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blondebier

Programmer
Jun 19, 2003
GB
Hello,

I'm looking to setup a small office network. It will consist of 3 machines running Windows XP Pro.
I have a broadband connection that i'd like to share between the 3 machines.

What do I need to do this? An ADSL Router?

Will the Netgear FR114 Broadband Firewall Router With Built in 4 Port 10/100 Switch do the job?
Would this piece of kit act as a hub too? I need something that will allow all the machines to talk to each other and share the broadband connection. (Ideally in one box) Will the FR114 do the job?

I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

From a 2 minute search, it appears to have everything that you would need. A 4-port switch, access to the ADSL circuit, and a packet filtering firewall.

You will, obviously, need cables for the PCs to connect to the switch/router.

pansophic

Pardon my ignorance. But by cables, do you mean Cat 5 network cable?

Yes. You'll need some type of cabling from the switch to each of the PCs. Prefab Cat5 cables will work if everything is in the same room. Otherwise, you may need to buy some bulk cable, jacks and jumpers.

pansophic

I use a Netgear RT314 router and a SMC 7400 series for my wireless with a broadband connection. I have the Netgear unit for over three years now and I have to say it has been amazing. When our company was expanding I reccomended Netgear also and it is a dream system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back